We tend to think that to maintain hydrated and youthful skin we need to use the most expensive cosmetics found on the shelves of stores and supermarkets. However, in addition to these products, there is also a more natural and above all cheaper alternative that consists of making our own creams and masks with natural and homemade ingredients.
Among the different recipes to prepare home remedies, we find the coconut oil and bicarbonate mask, a natural product that more and more women use due to its different properties for the skin, among which its anti-wrinkle power and its whitening effect stand out. If you want to know more about the coconut oil and baking soda mask, keep reading this article, where we will explain some of its properties and how to prepare it.
Properties of coconut oil for the skin
One of the most popular products in the world of natural cosmetics is coconut oil, an extract obtained from the fruit of the coconut tree (also known scientifically as Cocos nucifera), specifically from the white pulp that it contains inside. This oil is traditionally used as an ingredient in many kitchens, since almost 90% of its composition is made up of healthy fatty acids. Due to this, coconut oil is used as a natural remedy for the care of our skin, since it has the following properties:
Coconut oil for wrinkles
Coconut oil has antioxidant properties that help skin cell regeneration and protect it from free radicals. In addition, it also favors the production of collagen and elastin, which is why it also prevents premature aging of the skin, thus reducing the first wrinkles and expression lines that may appear on our face.
Whitens the skin
Again, due to its antioxidant power, coconut oil is also an excellent remedy for whitening dark spots that appear on our skin, especially caused by UV rays. Thanks to its protection against free radicals (the main causes of cellular oxidation), this product lightens skin darkened by excess sunlight.
Coconut oil for acne
Coconut oil is also used to combat problems such as acne, as it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help regulate and reduce the accumulation of sebum and other traces of dirt that may be clogging the pores of the skin, thus causing acne. kind of impurities.
Hydrates in depth
In addition to its richness in fatty acids, coconut oil also has lauric acid and vitamins E and K, so it has excellent moisturizing properties that allow it to more easily absorb more moisture into the deeper layers of our skin. In addition to this, coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties, making it an ideal remedy for both very dry skin and those with skin problems such as psoriasis or atopic dermatitis.
Properties of bicarbonate for the skin
Sodium bicarbonate is a whitish-colored product that is mainly used for different household tasks such as cleaning stains or neutralizing bad odors. However, it has also become a popular ingredient in different home remedies due to its properties for the skin:
- Antibacterial properties: baking soda is an excellent remedy for acne, as it helps unclog the pores of the skin and prevents impurities from accumulating in them again.
- Anti- inflammatory properties: this product manages to relieve symptoms such as pain and inflammation caused by conditions such as bites, cuts or other injuries to the skin. In addition to this, bicarbonate favors the healing of these wounds so that there are no marks on the skin.
- Alkaline properties: thanks to this composition, bicarbonate is a product that helps regulate the pH of the dermis, thus preventing excessive production of fat in the sebaceous glands. Due to this, this product is a useful remedy for those skins that have a tendency to be oily.
- Whitening properties: its richness in antioxidants gives it a powerful whitening effect that fades dark spots and evens out skin tone on both the face and other parts of the body. In addition, thanks to its exfoliating effect, baking soda removes the accumulation of dead skin cells, thus leaving a smoother and more illuminated face.
Coconut oil and baking soda mask
Now that you know the properties of both ingredients, below we will explain how to make a coconut oil and bicarbonate mask for wrinkles and dark spots on the face.
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Preparation and treatment
- First, you will have to melt a little coconut oil in a water bath (in case it is solidified).
- When you have the oil melted, add a tablespoon of it along with another of baking soda in a container and stir the ingredients until you get your homemade mask.
- With the face previously washed and dry, apply the mask on the face making gentle circular movements. Emphasize the areas where the spots and/or wrinkles are found.
- Let the remedy act for 20 minutes and then remove it with plenty of warm water.
Use this home remedy between 1 and 2 times a week.
Coconut oil, baking soda and lemon mask
In addition to the previous recipe, you can also add a little lemon to your coconut and bicarbonate mask if you are going to use it for acne, since this fruit has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that reduce the presence of pimples on the face. To make it you will only need:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Juice of half a lemon
Preparation and treatment
- As we explained in the previous recipe, melt a little coconut oil in a bain-marie if it is solid.
- Now, add 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil along with the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl and then stir until you get a mask.
- With a very clean and dry face, apply the mask on the face, emphasizing the areas with acne and leave it to act for 15 minutes.
- Finally, remove the mask with plenty of warm water and apply a moisturizer.
Use this home remedy once a week at night.