How to do semi-permanent manicure at home
Strong, shiny, pristine-looking nails for two weeks? More and more of us are opting for semi-permanent manicures to always have well-groomed and beautiful hands. If you don’t have time to go to a beauty salon to get a semi-permanent manicure, keep reading the following article.
On this occasion, we want to explain how to do a semi-permanent manicure at home so you don’t give up on showing off spectacular nails. And why bet on the semi-permanent? The answer is simple: it is cheaper, less harmful than gel nails and allows you to maintain a fresh manicure, with color and shine for at least 15 days. Are you missing more reasons to try it? Test it!
What is a semi-permanent manicure and how long does it last?
To speak of a semi-permanent manicure is to speak of a long-lasting and fast-drying nail polish. Thanks to this type of manicure, you will obtain a shiny and shiny result that is achieved by applying specific nail polish and drying the nails using LED or UV light.
In addition, it provides a lasting shine, provides more hardness to the nails thanks to the quality of the enamel and is not very aggressive, since the semi-permanent manicure does not affect the nail tissue, as long as it is not used excessively.
The recommendation of some professionals is to let the nail rest for a while, so that it can benefit from the vitamins it needs. The semi-permanent manicure is cheaper than the permanent manicure and, in addition, it is very easy to remove.
How long does a semi-permanent manicure last?
Among the advantages of performing a semi-permanent manicure stands out its duration, one of the characteristics that differentiates it from other manicures since you can have perfect semi-permanent nails for a minimum of 15 days.
Its duration may vary depending on each person but it ranges from 2 to 4 weeks, the time necessary for the nail to grow enough and it is necessary to remove the manicure. In addition, thanks to the resistance of the semi-permanent gel, you will be able to carry out any daily activity without worrying that your nails will be damaged, damaged or the color will gradually disappear.
What do I need to do a semi-permanent manicure at home?
Although doing a semi-permanent manicure is very simple, you must have all the necessary products and tools to achieve a spectacular result. Next, we explain what you will need in each of the phases so that you can obtain everything you need to do this manicure at home.
Nail and cuticle preparation
The first step of the manicure is the preparation of the nails and cuticles, before the application of the enamel. To carry out this phase you will need the following elements:
- Double ended cuticle pusher: with this you will be able to push the skin of the cuticles to leave the nail clean.
- Nail polisher: with this tool you will leave the surface of the nail as smooth and smooth as possible.
- Professional file: once the surface has been removed and polished, it is time to file it to shape the nail using the file.
- Cleaner: before varnishing, it is necessary to disinfect the area by cleaning the nail with this product.
Enamel application and decoration
With the nail prepared, it is time to start the semi-permanent enamel. For this you will need:
- Base coat: gel product that is applied before the nail polish and guarantees the duration of the manicure between two and three weeks.
- Polish– Gel polish will be what colors your manicure. You have multiple options to choose from among all the types of semi-permanent nail polish that exist.
- Decoration brushes: if you want to apply decorative elements, you must have fine-tipped brushes to work on the nail.
- Top coat: final shine that is applied after having done the manicure.
You may find our articles Aesthetic Nail Designs and How to Do a Manicure with Stickers helpful to inspire you to decorate your semi-permanent nails.
To show off perfect semi-permanent nails, it is very important to carry out the drying process properly, which will guarantee the best results. For this you will need:
- Ultraviolet or LED lamp: UV/LED technology allows uniform and long-lasting drying.
It is just as important to do the semi-permanent manicure well as to remove it once its duration has expired or it is time to renew it. For this later phase you will need:
- Polishing block: to remove the first layer of enamel.
- Semi- permanent gel polish remover wipes: thanks to their formula, the gel polish detaches from the surface of the nail.
- Clips or tweezers: it should be left attached to the nail, on the nail polish remover wipe, and let them act between 10 and 15 minutes to be able to remove the nail polish properly.
How to do semi-permanent manicure at home step by step
As soon as you have all the products and accessories that are required to perform a semi-permanent manicure, you will be ready to carry out this process comfortably from home. For the result of your semi-permanent nails to be spectacular, you must pay attention to the following steps.
- Clean and disinfect your nails before you start.
- Next, prepare the nail and remove excess skin and cuticles, with the help of the pusher.
- Once it is clean, polish the nail using the nail polisher.
- Now, cut the nails to the desired size and shape them by filing them.
- With nails prepped, apply base coat. Thanks to this base you will protect the surface of the nail.
- When you have applied the base, let it dry by introducing your hands in the UV or LED lamp.
- Next, apply the polish with the desired semi-permanent nail polish on the nails.
- Between applications, place your hands in the UV or LED light.
- When you have all the nails polished, add the top coat to give it the necessary shine so that the nails look perfect week after week.
- Finish the manicure and apply an oil around the nails and fingers to moisturize.
And voila! You already have your semi-permanent nails. However, we recommend that, before you start shaping your nails, you take a look at our post How to file nails according to the shape of your fingers.
How to remove semi-permanent manicure at home
If you are one of those who want to make your own semi-permanent manicure at home, you also need to know how to remove said manicure in order to replace it once the weeks have passed and it starts to look bad.
Although it is advisable to go to an aesthetic salon to do it without risks, if you do it with a polisher, you can do it at home if you have the right tools.
- If you have a polishing block, remove the first layer of polish using it. Be very careful not to cut yourself.
- Let the nails soak in warm water.
- Next, soak a cotton ball with nail polish remover or, failing that, use special wipes with a suitable formula and remove the gel or semi-permanent nail polish.
- Wrap the nail in cotton or a washcloth.
- Press it with the clamp between 10 and 15 minutes to let it act.
- Remove the tweezers and wipes and you will see how the polish has come off the surface of the nail.