Having hair with volume is one of the desires of most girls with straight hair and with little quantity. Sometimes, fragile or fine hair can be due to misuse of tools such as irons or dryers, or not treating it with the right products. If this is your case, don’t worry, wearing voluminous and abundant hair is possible even if you don’t have a lot of hair.
Give volume with a dryer
If you have very fine hair and in a small amount, one of the most effective tricks to achieve full-bodied hair is to dry your hair upside down. In addition, this is a perfect option to give volume to the hair. If you want to know how to give volume to the root with the dryer, it is very simple, you just have to follow these steps:
- Wipe off excess moisture with a towel.
- Apply a little hairspray to the root, without getting too close so as not to wet it.
- With your head upside down, dry your hair with the dryer, massaging gently with your fingertips at the roots. This movement of your fingers will create a very natural backcombing effect.
- To finish drying, apply cold air with the dryer.
- Raise your head and comb with a wide-toothed comb.
If you have already tried dry shampoo to avoid washing your hair so often, we have to tell you that you can also use it to give volume to the roots. If you want to achieve long- lasting volume, this is how to achieve it:
- Put your head upside down.
- Spray a little product on the roots. Do it about 30 centimeters away so as not to stain the hair.
- Let act 1 minute.
- Massage the roots with a towel using circular movements.
- Raise your head and comb through with a wide-toothed comb.
Volumizing with shampoo
To achieve full-bodied hair, don’t forget to use a volumizing shampoo for fine hair. These types of products do not contain silicones in their formulas and usually contain vitamins, oils and plant extracts as main ingredients. All these components contribute to the strengthening and dedensification of the hair fiber.
When washing it, avoid rubbing the hair so as not to break the fibers. You should only wash the scalp by gently massaging the roots. The foam that falls on the middle and ends will be enough to keep the hair clean.
Haircuts to add volume
Knowing how to choose a haircut that flatters you can make a big difference between voluminous hair and sparser hair. If you have little and very fine hair and you are wondering which cut suits you, some of the best haircuts for fine hair without volume are:
- Long bob with thick straight bangs.
- Layered cuts. It is essential that any cut you wear has some texture to add volume and movement. An example of a highly textured cut is the shag or shaggy cut.
- Pixie cut with long layers.
- mid-length hair
Sleep with braids
If you want to increase the thickness of fine hair and want to get up with a voluminous and wavy mane, we give you 2 ideas of hairstyles to sleep: braids or high buns.
Make them before you go to bed and sleep with them through the night. When you get up you will be able to show off a mane with waves and more body.
Color to add volume
Uniform tones in the hair do not give an illusion of volume, so to achieve this effect and to obtain a mane that looks fuller, we advise you to apply some color to your base. You can opt for highlights or veils, or make an Ombre combining dark and light shades.
Eating a healthy diet also influences the growth and appearance of fine, brittle hair. Having a deficit of any vitamin can be reflected in the hair, since the scalp can present problems of dehydration, fall or lack of volume, for example.
We advise you to include foods rich in minerals, vitamins, fatty acids and amino acids in your diet. Some foods that contain these nutrients are: nuts, salmon, red fruits, green leafy vegetables or legumes.
Discover here a complete list of Foods with essential fatty acids.
Finishing products can be your best allies when it comes to adding more body to thin or short hair.
we want to tell you how to give volume to short hair using the different styling products:
- Volume spray: Spray the product on damp or wet hair. Next, dry your hair upside down and finish by applying cold air to set the product.
- Foam: apply the product to wet hair, previously removing excess moisture. Dry with a diffuser, gently massaging the roots.
- Spray for waves: spray the product from mid-lengths to ends and dry with a diffuser or with the dryer at medium power, marking the waves with your hands.
Performing a good hair wash is the best start if you want to add volume to your hair. If you want to know how to do a wash that helps add body to the hair, follow these simple steps:
- Detangle hair before washing. It is recommended that you use a wide-toothed comb.
- Before wetting the hair, and to stimulate blood flow, perform a gentle massage with the fingertips and drawing circular movements to activate circulation.
- You can then rinse your hair and proceed to regular washing.
Texturizing powders are a hairdressing product used to add density and volume to fine and sparse hair. These are keratin fibers that adhere to the hair and provide a visual sensation of more re-densified hair.
- Apply a small amount to the roots. We advise you to pour it slowly, tilting the bottle and shaking it as if it were a salt shaker.
- Massage with fingertips to blend the fibers with the rest of the hair.
- Repeat the operation if necessary.
- Apply a little fixing spray or lacquer to fix the product and keep the dust from coming off.
Hairstyles with volume
The hairstyle is always a good ally when it comes to achieving different effects on the hair. In the case of hair with little density, we recommend toupees, soft teasing in the upper area or making broken waves by passing the iron only in the mid-lengths and ends to add movement to the hair.
On the flip side, you should avoid slick updos, tight ponytails, or any hairstyle that crushes your hair against your skull.
Prepare the hair with rollers
Although it is difficult for you to see yourself with curlers, it is one of the most effective hairdressing accessories to loosen the roots and show off voluminous hair. You have two options:
- Hot Rollers– These are rollers that are heated before being put on, then wrapped around your hair and left on until cool.
- Traditional rollers: they are those that you will have to roll on wet hair or previously moistened with a spray. These rollers must be left on the head until the hair is completely dry.
Waves with volume
It is common to think that if you have fine hair or with little volume you cannot use the iron to create waves. That is not the case at all, it is true that applying heat with a styler in the root zone can create an effect contrary to what is sought, but there is a way to achieve waves and not lose body in the hair. Follow these steps to achieve it:
- Blow-dry hair downwards, massaging the root zone for volume.
- With dry hair, use the flat iron or curling iron to create waves, but only sliding from the middle to the ends, without going near the root.
- When you have marked all the hair, wait for the hair to cool down.
- With cool hair, turn your head upside down and shake your hair to break up the waves for a more voluminous style.
- As a final touch, apply a little hairspray over the waves.
Homemade egg mask
And if you are one of those who prefer home remedies, you will love trying this natural mask with egg. The egg contains proteins and vitamins that are very beneficial for the hair that will give it more body, strength and shine. If you want to make your own, follow these steps:
- Beat an egg and apply it to previously dampened hair.
- Let it act for 15 minutes.
- After the exposure time, rinse with lukewarm or cold water.
You can also reap more benefits by preparing an egg and mayonnaise hair mask.
In addition to all these tips, there are also hairdressing treatments that serve to reidentify the fiber and add volume to fine hair. The best known are the hair Botox treatment and keratin.
In the capillary application, Botox is not injected but is applied directly to the hair fiber, reidentifying it. Keratin treatment acts by sealing and repairing the hair cuticle, giving the hair a healthier and fuller appearance.