Your colleague raves about it. Your friend is excited to try it. You heard your neighbor has already lost a couple of lbs. It looks forward to losing more. It sounds unbelievably good!! But is it so? Also, what exactly is a ketogenic, low-carb, high-fat diet? If these are your questions, we’ll tell you the answers!
What is a ketogenic low-carb and high-fat diet?
A ketogenic diet is a low-carb and high-fat diet. Unlike conventional dieting methods, which only focus on less calorie consumption, the keto diet takes a step further. Instead of only altering your calories, a keto diet alters fat intake too. More specifically, it allows you to consume more fats and fewer carbs (less than 50 carbs daily), thereby causing your body to lose weight. Sounds confusing? Keep reading!
How does it work?
This low carb and high-fat diet lead to weight loss through “ketosis.” Contrary to mainstream diet methods, which work on the principle of “eat few calories,” the keto diet induces ketosis to cause weight loss.
What is ketosis? How does it lead to weight loss?
When you eat fewer carbs, your body turns to fat for energy. Especially when your daily carb intake is less than 50g, there’s no other potential energy source for your body than fats! Therefore, the liver utilizes fats and turns them into ketone bodies, which provide fuel to the cells. Consequently, the fat content of your body reduces. When this keeps happening for a while, you eventually lose weight.
Keto-Friendly Food Options
While the idea of a keto diet seems simple, it may get a little tricky to apply. Finding foods that fulfill low-carb and high-fat diet criteria is crucial. Especially if you’re a beginner, you ought to know about keto-friendly foods so you can kick start your keto journey effectively.
Also, it would be best if you keep your protein intake in check. While keeping your fat intake high, keep your protein intake moderate. Not more than 75gm, to be specific. It’s because excessive proteins may deter ketosis. When the carbs and proteins are insufficient to provide energy to your body, it will have no other option than to use fats as fuel. Brilliant strategy, no?
Here is a list of foods that complement a low-carb and high-fat diet.
- All sorts of vegetables, especially green ones
- Coconut Oil
- Clarified butter and Ghee
- Legumes, Pulses, and Lentils
- Nuts and Dry Fruits
- Cheese (cottage cheese, cheddar, and blue cheese)
Tips for effective Keto Diet
Here are a few things to keep in mind for an effective low-carb and high fat keto diet.
- Veggies are undoubtedly very rich in nutrients. Make sure to incorporate more veggies into your diet.
- It’ll take a while for your body to show the results. Therefore, stay patient and consistent.
- Stay hydrated. It will keep your body functioning properly and help flush out the accumulated ketones through urine.
- While cutting out on carbs, make sure to obtain other vital nutrients. In short, eat healthy foods!
- Instead of eating unhealthy saturated fats, eat healthier unsaturated fats.
Keto diet is undoubtedly an effective weight loss strategy, but be sure to consult a professional trainer before you opt for it.