Although the potato is a vegetable used in gastronomy around the world, it is also widely used in natural beauty treatments. The potato has a large number of properties that offer many benefits to our body, but in cosmetics, the properties of the potato for the skin are used above all. In fact, one of the natural face masks that has become famous lately is the potato one. With this mask you can reduce facial blemishes and acne, as well as improve the general appearance and natural glow of the skin.
Potato mask: properties and benefits
Although the potato is basic in the world of gastronomy, it is also widely used in cosmetics and health. One of the main products in cosmetics is the potato face mask, as it brings many benefits to the skin of the face. Among the properties and benefits of the potato mask for the skin are:
Properties of the potato mask for the skin
- It is an antioxidant due to its high content of vitamin C or ascorbic acid.
- Promotes the absorption of iron in the skin, which facilitates cell renewal.
- Stimulating the regeneration or healing of the skin due to its content of thiamine or vitamin B1.
- Anti-inflammatory and soothing due to its high content of minerals and vitamins.
- Moisturizing and refreshing for the skin, due to its high-water content.
- Removes spots on the skin or lightens it due to its content of vitamin C and other acids.
- Detoxifying the skin thanks to the presence of potassium, copper, sulfur, vitamin C and other vitamins in its composition.
- Vitamin B2 or riboflavin and vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid that this vegetable contains have an astringent effect on the skin.
Potato face mask benefits
- Delays cell damage due to its antioxidant properties, therefore premature aging is prevented.
- Keeps facial skin healthy due to its cell renewal properties.
- Excellent healing agent to reduce wounds and recent scars, for example, caused by acne.
- As it is moisturizing, soothing and anti-inflammatory, the potato is beneficial in the treatment of irritation processes, burns or skin rashes when exposed to the sun or excessive heat.
- It is used to remove blemishes on the skin of the face, because it has a large amount of starch, carbohydrates and vitamin C.
- It prevents juvenile acne, reduces the size of the skin’s pores and reduces oiliness on the skin, all thanks to vitamins B2 and B5.
You can discover more about the properties of the Cruda potato in this other post.
What is the potato mask for – more benefits and uses?
Knowing the great properties and the main benefits of the potato mask for the skin, we want to indicate some more benefits and the main uses of it. What is the potato mask for? Take note:
- It serves to reduce wrinkles, due to its antioxidant and stimulating properties of skin regeneration.
- This mask is used to reduce scars on the face, so it is widely used to improve skin with acne marks or small wound scars.
- Due to its lightening or whitening properties, this natural product is used to even out skin tone and remove spots caused by various reasons (acne, pregnancy, excess sun, etc.)
- It is used to reduce dark circles, since the potato improves blood circulation in the eye area and whitens the skin in this area, reducing the dark tone.
- It serves to reduce acne and shine on the face, as it manages to balance the production of oil in the skin, eliminating the presence of excessive oil and accumulated dirt that clogs pores, deflates pimples, etc.
Potato mask: how to prepare and apply it
The potato mask can be made with raw or cooked potatoes. However, to facilitate its preparation, we are going to explain it with previously cooked potatoes. This easy potato mask is prepared with the following ingredients and you have to follow the indicated steps:
- 2 large potatoes.
- The juice of half a lemon.
- 2 tablespoons of honey.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Potato mask: preparation and application
- Take two large fresh raw potatoes.
- Wash them very well, do not peel them and cook them in water until they are soft. Save the cooking water.
- Mash the potatoes with a spoon or fork until you get a puree.
- Add the lemon juice, honey and olive oil and mix very well until you get a homogeneous texture.
- Make sure to clean your face very well, washing it with plenty of soap and water. It is recommended to use a neutral soap.
- Apply the mask all over your dry face and cover it well, but above all make sure to cover the areas with spots, acne pimples or other problems that you want to reduce.
- Wait about 30 to 40 minutes and rinse your face with plenty of cold water.
- We recommend you make this mask only at night, since the mixture contains lemon that can make your skin sensitive to the sun’s rays. If you, do it during the day, do not expose yourself to the sun while you are wearing it and wait at least two hours after taking it off before leaving the house.
You can use the water from cooking the potatoes that you have saved to wash your face when you come back from being out all day, to remove the dust and dirt accumulated in the pores, especially if you live in a big city. After applying the water with a cotton pad and letting it dry completely, wash your face with plenty of water. This facial cleansing is ideal to do before going to sleep, so your skin is clean and breathes better.
Potato mask to rejuvenate the face
Potato slices to slow down aging processes on the face are an effective remedy. To prepare a potato mask to rejuvenate the face you must perform the following steps:
Homemade anti-wrinkle treatment with potato
- Take a large fresh raw potato, remove the skin and wash it.
- Cut it into slices.
- Wash your face with plenty of water and special soap for the face.
- Make sure to dry your face very well with a dry cloth and soft touches.
- Make small facial massages with the raw potato slices and then leave them on for 10 minutes.
- Wash your face again with plenty of water and dry your face with a soft cloth.
- Perform this procedure at least 3 times a week and you will see results.
Potato and egg white mask for wrinkles
If you want to reduce marked wrinkles, we recommend this combination.
- Cook a potato and mash it.
- Separate two egg whites and mix them with the potato until you get a smooth paste.
- Wash your face and dry it.
- Apply the mask all over your face and let it take effect for 30 minutes. You will notice that it dries out.
- Remove the mask and wash your face with cold water and facial soap.
- You can repeat this mask 2 or 3 times a week.
Here we explain more about How to use egg white for wrinkles.
Potato mask for acne – step by step
As we have indicated before, this natural preparation is also very effective against acne. Follow these directions to prepare and apply a potato acne mask:
- Cook a large potato or two medium ones and do not remove the skin.
- Mix the cooked potato with raw cucumber. You can first chop them very small to make it easier for you to mix with a fork or spoon.
- Wash your face carefully and dry it.
- Apply the acne mask, covering well the parts with more pimples and pimples.
- Let it take effect for a maximum of 1 hour and remove the mask with plenty of water.
- Wash your face with neutral or medicated soap for acne and gently pat dry.
With this other article you can learn more about How to make a cucumber mask for acne.
Potato mask for facial blemishes – step by step
For this effective remedy, you must use, in addition to a raw potato, natural apple and cucumber vinegar, as both are also very powerful in lightening the skin and achieving an even tone. Follow the steps to remove stains from the face with potato with this simple mask:
- Take ¼ potato and ¼ cucumber previously washed and peeled.
- Grate these two ingredients so that they are very fine.
- Mix everything with the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a small container, until you get a homogeneous paste.
- Apply this ointment with a brush or cotton on the spots you have on your face and let it act for about 30 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water.
If you want to discover more potato face masks, we recommend you check out this other one to brighten your eyes: How to make a potato mask for dark circles.