Skin care is essential for it to be healthy both inside and out and so that it does not lose its luminosity and its good appearance. The skin is the largest organ of the human body and also one of the most complicated to take care of correctly. It is important to take into account the type of skin we have, since we will not use the same remedies and products for skin prone to dryness as for another that is more oily or prone to acne.
Apart from having a healthy routine and proper nutrition so that the skin receives all the nutrients it needs from within the body, there are various cosmetics that help keep it healthy. But we can also use more natural remedies that have been used for many years and that also have many benefits and that provide us with effects that are very similar or even better than those of cosmetics. One of them is peppermint.
Properties of peppermint for health
Peppermint is a plant that has been used for a long time for the benefit of our body, thanks to its various properties. It is very easy to find, since it can be easily purchased in a pot or in bouquets in any supermarket. In fact, we recommend that you buy it in a pot, because apart from having a very pleasant smell, it repels mosquitoes.
It is often recommended to take it as an infusion to treat problems related to the respiratory system, to reduce heavy digestion and other mild disorders of the digestive system, as well as in situations of stress and anxiety, since it has a slight sedative effect.
In addition, thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and astringent properties, it is very useful for treating some skin disorders, applying it in different ways on it. If you want to know more, you can read the following article about What are the properties of mint.
Peppermint for acne
If you have skin that is prone to acne, you tend to have pimples or you suffer from breakouts on a regular basis, try applying peppermint to your skin, as it has antiseptic properties that can help reduce this problem.
- First get yourself an essential oil of peppermint. You can buy it at any herbalist.
- When you have it, we recommend that you put two drops in the face creamthat you use for both morning and night.
- To do it correctly, put the amount of cream you are going to use at that time in a small jar and add the two drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Then, mix everything, so that the mixture is completely homogeneous.
- Then apply it to your face the same way you always do.
Peppermint for burns, abrasions and rashes
Apart from the anti- inflammatory properties that peppermint possesses, it is also rich in vitamins A and C, which help the skin recover from abrasions and burns, in addition to calming the discomfort caused by these alterations.
It is best to make a skin tonic with mint. You can do it in two ways.
- If you have a mint plant at home, take 5 or 6 medium leaves.
- Then, put 100ml of water to heat and put the leaves in the container with the water.
- Wait until the water boils and keep it for 5 minutes.
- Then, remove the container from the heat and wait for it to cool down.
- When it is no longer hot you can apply it on the face.
You can also use this remedy for other burns or rashes on the skin, always in addition to the treatment you are receiving prescribed by the dermatologist.
If you don’t have a mint plant at home, get an essential oil of mint and dilute four drops in 100ml of water. When you already have a homogeneous mixture, apply it to the area of the skin that shows the alteration.
We recommend that you use both remedies only once a day, preferably at night before going to bed so that the skin absorbs the properties of mint to the maximum.
Peppermint for oily skin
If your skin is oily or combination, peppermint also has benefits for you, thanks to its astringent properties. For its application, we recommend that you make a poultice with peppermint leaves and honey, since it is not recommended that you use peppermint oil, so as not to increase the fat.
- Get four mint leaves and crush them with a mortar until you have a paste.
- Then add a tablespoon of honey and mix.
- When you have everything incorporated, apply it to the face and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, wash the skin.
If you have aloe vera cream, you can use it as a base for this remedy, replacing honey. You can repeat it up to twice a week.