Did you know that you can learn how to turn a dress into a skirt easily? If you’re like me, you may have a few dresses in your closet that you’ve never worn because you’re not sure how to style them. Well, I’m here to show you how to turn your dress into a skirt in just a few simple steps. But first, let me give you some reasons why you should turn your dress into a skirt.
Why You Should Turn Your Dress Into A Skirt
One of the best things about a dress is that it can be easily turned into a skirt. Here are five reasons why you should do just that:
1. A dress-turned-skirt is more versatile. You can wear it with a t-shirt, blouse, or even a tank top. It’s also perfect for summertime weather because it’s airy and cool.
2. A dress-turned-skirt is less revealing. If you’re not comfortable showing off your legs, then a dress-turned-skirt is a good way to cover them up.
3. A dress-turned-skirt is more modest. If you’re going to church or some other formal event, a dress-turned-skirt is a much more appropriate choice than a dress.
4. A dress-turned-skirt is cheaper. Instead of having to buy both a dress and a skirt, you can just buy one dress and turn it into a skirt when you need it.
5. A dress-turned-skirt is more comfortable. Skirts are generally more comfortable to wear than dresses because they’re less tight-fitting.
How To Turn A Dress Into A Skirt
Materials You Need To Turn A Dress Into A Skirt
To turn a dress into a skirt, you’ll need:
- Tape Measure
- Thread and Needle
- Fabric Marker or Chalk
- Dress to be turned into a skirt
- 1/2 – 3/4 yards of additional fabric, depending on the size of the dress
There are a variety of ways that you can turn your dress into a skirt. You can either follow these 7 steps or use your methods to transform your dress into a skirt.
- The first step is to gather the necessary supplies. You will need a pair of scissors, a needle and thread, and safety pins.
- The second step is to cut the dress. Cut the dress at the waistline so that it becomes a skirt. If you want to create a slit in the front of the skirt, make sure to leave enough fabric so that it can be sewn shut later on.
- The third step is to sew the slit shut if you created one in the previous step. Use a needle and thread to do this.
- The fourth step is to hem the skirt. Use a needle and thread to do this.
- The fifth step is to add a waistband to the skirt. Cut a piece of fabric that is long enough to go around your waist, and then sew it in place.
- The sixth step is to add a lining to the skirt. This will help make it look nicer and more polished.
- The seventh and final step is to style the skirt however you want! You can wear it with a blouse, a t-shirt, or even a dressy top. Have fun with it!
Read Also: How to Alter a Dress
How To Turn A Dress Into A Skirt Without Sewing
Now that you have the dress cut down to the desired length, it’s time to start turning it into a skirt. This is a very simple process that can be done in just a few minutes.
1. Take one of the safety pins and secure the waistband of the dress together. Make sure the pin is through both layers of fabric.
2. Now, take another safety pin and do the same thing with the bottom of the dress.
3. Cut off any excess fabric from around the waistband and bottom of the dress.
4. Use a pair of scissors to carefully clip along the edge of each safety pin. Be careful not to cut through the fabric itself.
5. Remove the safety pins and admire your new skirt!
6. If needed, hem the bottom of the skirt using a sewing machine or by hand.
7. Enjoy your new creation!
How To Turn A Dress Into A Beach Skirt
Summer is the time to break out the flowy skirts and dresses! However, if you’re like me and don’t want to spend a fortune on a new beach wardrobe, then follow these simple steps to turn your dress into a beach skirt.
- Start by finding a light and airy dress that will be comfortable in the summer heat.
- Next, turn the dress inside out and lay it flat on the floor.
- Cut the bottom of the dress off just above the knee level. Be sure to cut evenly on both sides so that the skirt will hang evenly when worn.
- Now, turn the dress right side out and try it on. You may need to adjust the length of the skirt depending on your personal preference.
- If you’d like, you can also add a strip of fabric or ribbon around the waistline to give the skirt a more finished look.
- Finally, enjoy wearing your new beach skirt all summer long!
- Optional: You can also make a matching top by following these same steps and cutting off the dress just below the bust line.
Important Sewing Tips To Keep in Mind
When altering a dress into a skirt, it is important to keep the following sewing tips in mind:
1. Make sure the waistband of the dress is even with the waistband of the skirt you are creating.
2. If necessary, adjust the length of the dress so that it is the desired length for your skirt.
3. Hem the bottom of the dress using a hemming stitch or other method.
4. Make sure all seams are aligned and secured before stitching them together.
5. Attach the waistband to the newly-hemmed bottom of the dress, making sure it is even on both sides.
6. Sew side seams of the skirt, making sure they are even on both sides.
7. Finalize the alteration by sewing a closure (such as a zipper or buttons) into the waistband of the skirt.
8. Press the entire skirt to ensure that all seams are flat and secure.
With these tips in mind, you can easily turn any dress into a flattering skirt!