Our hair is part of the image we project to others. Therefore, wearing a healthy and beautiful mane is essential to be able to have a good presence before others and to feel even better. However, not all hair is the same and hair care and routines will very depending on each one of them. If frizz is a constant in your hair and you want to improve this aspect, you should learn how to remove frizz from your hair. Puffy hair usually appears due to a lack of moisture and hydration, which translates into an appearance of irregular texture of the hair, due to the porosity in the strands that prevent it from absorbing hydration correctly. The result dry and damaged hair. In addition, excessive coloring, lack of nutrients or not using thermal protectors can also
Avoid brushing your hair dry
Did you know that brushing your hair dry can be one of the causes of your hair becoming fluffy? If you have a tendency for your hair to curl, you should start by changing this habit. When the hair is dry, the only thing you achieve by brushing it is to fluff it up more because static electricity is generated, in addition to causing it to break more easily.
The trick is to brush it with your fingers after washing it, yes, having previously removed excess water. When you run your fingers through your hair, you should also apply a detangling spray or cream, which helps you comb your hair and, in turn, moisturize it deeply. Look for the cream that best suits your hair type and its needs. After this and still with some moisture you can brush it better with the brush or comb that your type of hair needs.
Use the dryer correctly
Using the iron or the dryer daily can be very counterproductive for fluffy hair, although it may seem the opposite. Excessive and daily application of heat to the hair contributes to further damaging it and causing frizz, therefore, the less you use them… the better! Of course, if you cannot live without either of these two tools to always see yourself well-groomed, you should change your habits and always apply a thermal hair protector before each use.
In the event that you decide to give up the dryer, take note of the following tips to dry it correctly.
- The first option is to let it dry in the open air, without applying any type of heat. However, with the daily rhythm sometimes it becomes complicated.
- There is another alternative to dry the hair: use the dryer with cold air. Remember that what damages the hair cuticle, causing it to open and break, is the effect of heat, so if you reduce the application of heat on the hair you will avoid frizz.
- In case you bet on the use of a cold air dryer, we recommend using it only on the top of the head, letting the ends dry in the open air, since they are the most delicate area of the hair and break with greater ease.
Also, if you want to straighten your hair using a dryer, we recommend you read this other article on How to straighten your hair with a dryer.
Bet on natural oils
If you are looking for a great ally to treat your fluffy hair, we encourage you to use natural oils, since they allow you to recover the shine of the hair, hydrate it in depth and restore its full strength. The use of these organic remedies, free of artificial chemical agents that can further damage the hair, allows you to treat frizz effectively.
Coconut oil for hair
There are many natural oils that can help you combat frizz in your hair, but without a doubt one of the most effective is coconut oil for hair. This plant-based oil is used in cosmetics because it deeply hydrates and protects both skin and hair. The reason is its vitamin E content, which acts as an antioxidant and repairs tissues in depth. In addition, the use of coconut oil is very effective in treating dryness of the scalp and also has a restorative and revitalizing effect, which will help you fight frizz.
- To use it effectively, apply a few drops to the hair and leave it on all night for a greater effect.
- Another option is to apply a few drops of coconut oil after washing your hair to prevent frizz after blow-drying.
- You can also use it as a mask prior to washing your hair, in this way, it will penetrate deeper into the hair fiber, helping it to regenerate more quickly and generating a natural barrier that prevents damage from external agents, as well as maintaining hydration and avoiding loss of hair protein due to aging.
Here you can learn more about the Benefits of coconut oil for hair, how to straighten hair with coconut oil and Coconut oil hair masks.
Other natural hair oils
In addition to coconut oil for hair, there are other natural oils that can also be of great help so that your hair does not become fluffy and will also allow you to take care of it and repair damage. They stand out among them:
- Jojoba oil: perfect for moisturizing and caring for the hair. It is recommended for oily hair, since it regulates sebum production. It also prevents frizz and deeply cares for split ends. Here we tell you how to use jojoba oil on hair.
- Almond oil: a good alternative for dry and damaged hair, since it has very moisturizing and repairing properties. In addition, this natural oil acts as a sunscreen. In this other post we tell you the benefits of almond oil for hair and how to use it.
- Argan Oil: Deeply hydrates hair, helping to reduce dryness and frizz, giving hair unparalleled shine. It is perfect for repairing split ends. Learn how to use argan oil for hair with this other article.
- Olive oil: contains toning and moisturizing properties that allow hair to recover its shine, elasticity and strength. It is also a perfect stimulant for its growth, thanks to its regenerative power. We recommend knowing how to use olive oil on your hair and the best olive oil masks for hair.
For the treatment based on natural oils to be effective, you must apply the oil to the head (if you need to use it to treat the scalp as well, apply it by massaging the skin and hair, but if you only need it to improve the hair fibers, try not to put it on the root) and leave it to act for approximately 45 minutes. Do this routine 3 times a week if you have very fluffy hair, once it recovers you can do it 1 time a week.
Take into account how often you wash your hair
Washing your hair correctly and using the right products will help reduce frizz fast. If it lacks hydration, is it better to wash it every day? Although many people consider that washing hair daily is the best option, you should know that it is not recommended to do so, since it can cause the hair to become fluffy, among other problems that can arise from abusing hair washing and of the scalp. The problem is that washing it daily removes the natural oils from the hair and reduces its hydration, all accompanied by the action of the chemical substances present in the products we use. Therefore, the pH of the scalp is unbalanced, as well as the production of natural sebum, which can go from one extreme to another and generate dryness, dandruff, frizz and other problems.
The rule is simple: the more you wash your hair, the fluffier it will be. But, every how many days should you wash your hair? It is recommended to do it as little as possible, about 3 times a week may be enough. However, if you do not have very oily hair, you could do it up to 1 time per week.
Find the right shampoo and conditioner for you
As we have pointed out before, in addition to reducing the frequency of washing, it is very important to use the right products. To do this, we recommend you look for the shampoo and conditioner that best suits your hair type, that hydrates in depth and reduces frizz.
- The best alternative is to use a shampoo that is as natural as possible, so it will be free of artificial chemicals that can further damage the hair and cause frizz, but it is suitable for the type of scalp and hair you have. For example, look for a natural shampoo for curly hair, one for oily hair, etc., according to your conditions. If you have dry, frizzy hair and use a shampoo for oily hair, it will make your hair even more dry and frizzy. Also, if you have poorly cared for curls and they have become dry and frizzy, you will want to avoid using a shampoo that is not for curly hair or one that is for oily hair, as you will need hydration and definition for the curls.
- The same goes for natural conditioner., take into account if your hair is curly or if it is straight, among other aspects, and do not apply it to the root or scalp. Also, if you buy a natural conditioner and want to enhance its moisturizing and regenerating effect, we recommend you complement it with one of the oils that we have indicated before and use it as a mask. Thus, to prepare it you will need coconut oil, which is the one that will work best for you, but you can use any of those mentioned above, and a natural conditioner, the fewer artificial chemicals it contains, the better. Mix 4-5 tablespoons of the natural oil with the conditioner. Apply the moisturizing mask to your hair before going to sleep, leave it on overnight, and wash your hair in the morning. Yes indeed, we advise you to cover your head with a shower cap or a towel to avoid staining the pillow. Works!
Do not use products with alcohol for hair
Another of the tricks that will help you remove frizz from your hair is to check the products you use for its care. Many of the over-the-counter hair care products contain alcohol, which can be very damaging to hair and make it easy to fluff up.
This occurs because alcohol dehydrates and thus reduces the natural moisture inside the hair fibers, causing them to dry out and give rise to a fluffy or frizzy effect. Therefore, it is recommended to use shampoos, conditioners and other products that you include in your hair routine that do not contain alcohol.
Use glycerin to moisturize hair
If after all of the above tips you still have somewhat fluffy hair, don’t lose hope, there is a product that can help you moisturize your hair in depth and significantly reduce frizz. We are talking about glycerin. Although this product is generally used in cosmetics for the skin, it is very effective for treating dry hair and reducing all those signs that reflect very dehydrated hair.
Adding a few drops of liquid glycerin to your conditioner will help put an end to the fluffy effect, dullness, treat split and brittle ends, reduce roughness and restore flexibility and movement to your hair. The reason why glycerin is so effective is because of its great moisturizing capacity that helps retain water in the hair fibers and at the same time creates a protective barrier against external agents that can damage your hair.
Protect your hair from the sun
Another tip that will allow you to make your hair less fluffy is to protect it from the sun’s rays. Exposing hair to the sun can be very damaging to it and can cause frizz. If you think that the sun does not damage the hair as much as the skin, you are very wrong, because although the damage is not as visible as on the skin, the sun can damage the hair in depth. This hidden damage is one of the most common causes of fluffy hair. To adequately protect your hair from the sun, we encourage you to use sunscreens for your hair, in addition to using caps or scarves that help avoid direct contact if exposure is prolonged and/or if the sun is strong, such as on beach days.
On the other hand, very humid climates do not help reduce hair frizz either, quite the opposite, since excess environmental humidity intensifies it. If you are in a place with a very humid and hot climate, you should be careful with your hair and apply the tips above.
Drink plenty of water to hydrate your hair
Although it seems that this concept has nothing to do with hair, consuming enough water during the day helps you keep your body, including your hair, well hydrated, so it will also help you show off frizz-free hair. As the hydration of the body in general is essential, it is recommended to drink between 1 and 2 liters of water daily, depending on your lifestyle and your metabolism.